April 29th – May 5th 2019 UK Coffee Week
This week is UK Coffee Week, A week to celebrate all things Coffee and to help raise some money for a very important cause, “Project Waterfall”
Project Waterfall aims to help bring clean water to the communities that grow our coffee, this year it is supporting the Jabi Tehnan district in Ethiopia.
You can find out more about UK Coffee Week and Project Waterfall here
The History of Coffee
Did you know that the earliest reports of coffee drinking was in the Arabian Peninsula in the 15th Century and was consumed as part of a religious ritual to help worshippers stay awake!
You can find out more about the history of coffee, the different types and some of its chemistry by watching this short YouTube video here
Homemade Coffee Ice Cream
You don’t even need an ice cream maker!
Makes 1.5 L of ice cream
- 600ml Whipping Cream
- 200g Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 3 Tbsp Instant De-Caf Coffee
- 2 Tbsp Water
- In a large bowl mix the coffee with water.
- Add condensed milk and stir together
- Finally add the whipping cream
- Whisk together until light and creamy.
- Pour into an air tight container and freeze for 3-4 hours.
- Serve (with chocolate sauce and sprinkles if desired)
A delicious, rich, indulgent dessert (not suitable for under 1yrs due to raw egg)
- 150 g plain chocolate
- 2 egg yolks
- 45 g caster sugar
- 150 g full-fat creme fraiche
- 150 ml double cream
- 1 tsp instant decaffeinated coffee granules
- finely grated chocolate, to decorate
- Break the chocolate into a microwaveable bowl and melt in 30 second blasts until all is melted (stirring between each interval)
- Put the egg yolks and sugar in a heatproof bowl.
- Set the bowl over a pan of simmering water
- Whisk with an electric hand whisk on low for about 4 minutes
- When the mixture becomes paler and thicker remove the bowl from the heat and carry on whisking for 1 more minute.
- Set aside to cool slightly, but still stirring so the mixture does not stiffen.
- Dissolve the coffee in 1tbsp water
- Pour the cream into a medium mixing bowl and whisk until soft peaks
- Fold in the crème fraîche and coffee mix to the cream.
- Fold the cream mixture into the cooled chocolate, then fold in the egg yolk mixture.
- Stir thoroughly to ensure everything is well combined.
- Spoon into glasses and chill for 1 hour.
- Decorate with chocolate shavings.
For more coffee based recipes check out these recipes from the BBC here
Our Heart Shaped baking tin would be perfect for making a delicious coffee cake too!
Online Marketing Specialist and SEO Copywriter